You might have heard about the keto diet before since it’s been on the rise these past few years. One of the reasons it’s so popular is because it is simple and gets big results. Whether you want to lose fat, increase your energy levels, enhance your brain health and mental clarity, get clearer skin, improve your blood sugar levels, or improve your overall health, this may be exactly what you’ve been looking for!
So we’ve gathered some tips on how to start the keto diet.
Before starting any diet or lifestyle change, it’s good to do your research and know exactly what you’re starting. Knowing how and why the keto diet works will help set you on the right path to be successful and improving your health!
How to Start the Keto Diet: a Complete Guide
So let’s start at the beginning…what exactly is the keto diet? It can be described in different ways, but the most common definition is that it is a high-fat, low-carb, low-to-moderate protein diet. If you restrict carbs to the point that you enter and sustain ketosis, you are on keto! A lot of people experience weight loss on a ketogenic diet because your body switches its fuel supply to run mostly on fat, burning fat 24-7.
There is a lot of science behind the keto diet and I believe it helps a lot to understand everything that’s happening in your body. Your body runs off a few different categories of fuel…
- Alcohol (which should not be a lot of your fuel)
So when your body takes in fuel, it’s going it either burn it or store it. On a ketogenic diet, the body is forced to use ketones for fuel, because too little fuel is available from carbs and proteins.
In ketogenesis, our livers start to break down fat into a usable energy source called ketone bodies, or ketones for short.
On a “normal” diet, you’re usually eating more than 100g carbs a day. The way to get into ketosis is by eating less than 20 to 50 grams of carbs. So people on a ketogenic diet get 60-75% of calories from fat (or even more), 15-30% of calories from protein, and. 5-10% of calories from carbs.
Here is a helpful intro graphic from Kiss My Keto that explains the foods to eat that will help get you into ketosis.
Interested in trying keto out? Here a few tips on how to start the keto diet.
HAVE KETO SNACKS ON HAND WHEN YOU’RE LOW ON TIME SO YOU CAN STAY ON TRACK
We’re surrounded by temptation all the time. Whether we’re snacking at home or stopping at a gas station for a quick bite, it’s unlikely that they will have a lot of keto friendly options. So, instead of going hungry or just giving in, keep some keto snacks on hand so you can stay on track!
- Perfect Keto Chocolate Bar, Almond and Cacao Butter, Keto Snack (12 Count), 3g net of Carbs, No Added Sugar. 10g of Protein, Coconut Oil, and Collagen, with a Touch of Sea Salt and Stevia.
- ChocZero’s Keto Bark, Dark Chocolate Almonds with Sea Salt. 100% Stone-Ground, Sugar-Free, Low Carb. No Sugar Alcohols, No Artificial Sweeteners, All Natural, Non-GMO
- Just The Cheese Bars, Crunchy Baked Low Carb Snack Bars – 100% Natural Cheese. High Protein and Gluten Free, Aged Cheddar
- Cello Whisps Parmesan Cheese Crisp
- Moon Cheese 2 OZ, Pack of Three, Cheddar, 100% Cheese and Gluten Free
- Doctor In The Kitchen, Flackers Organic Flax Seed Crackers, Rosemary Flaxseed, 5-Ounce
- Fat Snax Cookies – Low Carb, Keto, and Sugar-Free
ARM YOURSELF WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS TO GET INTO KETOSIS FAST AND STAY THERE
Not everyone’s body goes into ketosis the same way or at the same time. For some, it takes longer or even needs a little help to get there and stay there. Try adjusting your diet and experiment with what gets YOU into ketosis, and then add in some helpful tools to help you stay there.
+ EXOGENOUS KETONES
- Codeage Exogenous Ketones Capsules – 240 Count – Keto Diet Supplement with BHB Salts as Exogenous Ketones, Electrolytes and Caffeine
- Perfect Keto Peach Exogenous Ketones: Base BHB Salts Supplement. Ketones for Ketogenic Diet Best to Burn Fat to Support Energy, Focus and Ketosis Beta-Hydroxybutyrate BHB Salt
+ ELECTROLYTE TABLETS
- Nuun Hydration: Electrolyte Drink Tablets, Citrus Berry Mixed Flavor Pack, Box of 4 Tubes (40 servings), to Recover Essential Electrolytes Lost Through Sweat
- Electrolyte Replacement Tablets for Rapid Rehydration | Stops Cramps & Gentle on Stomach | Magnesium, Potassium & Sodium + | 100 Capsules
+ KETONE STRIPS
- Perfect Keto Ketone Testing Strips: Test Ketosis Levels on Low Carb Ketogenic Diet, 100 Urinalysis Tester Strips Best for Accurate Meter Measurement of Urine Ketones Tests: by Perfect Keto
- Portable Ketone Testing Strips – Test if You’re in Ketosis on The Ketogenic Diet
+ KETO COOKBOOKS
- The Big Book of Ketogenic Diet Cooking: 200 Everyday Recipes and Easy 2-Week Meal Plans for a Healthy Keto Lifestyle
- The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook: Low-Carb, High-Fat Recipes for Busy People on the Keto Diet
- Keto Comfort Foods
- Simply Keto: A Practical Approach to Health & Weight Loss, with 100+ Easy Low-Carb Recipes
- Craveable Keto: Your Low-Carb, High-Fat Roadmap to Weight Loss and Wellness
- HOLSEM Air Fryer with Rapid Air Circulation System, 3.4 QT Capacity, Temperature up to 400°F, Low Fat Healthy Air Fryer, Black/Stainless Steel, 1500W(LED Display)
- DASH Compact Electric Air Fryer + Oven Cooker with Digital Display, Temperature Control, Non-Stick Fry Basket, Recipe Guide + Auto Shut Off Feature, 1.6 L, up to 2 QT, Aqua
EAT WHOLE FOODS AND AVOID THE KETO-VERSIONS OF CARB DENSE FOOD
If you’re at the grocery store or out to eat and don’t know what to get, you almost can’t go wrong with nutritious, whole foods. Anything processed or frozen will often have high amounts of carbs or unhealthy additives lurking behind snazzy packaging.
Still need a little more guidance? Check out this keto food list that gives you tons of options that you can switch out for foods like pasta and bread.
FIND KETO DIET RECIPES THAT MATCH YOUR TASTES
With sites like Pinterest, you can find almost any dish or recipe that has been made into a keto diet version. With a few substitutes and some creativity, you can still find plenty of delicious and nutritious recipes that you (and your family) will love. Whether you like Italian food, if you crave a Chinese take out or if you are a comfort food aficionado, there is a keto version for almost anything your heart desires.
Try a few of these Keto recipes to get you started!
- 46 Keto & Low Carb Side Dishes That Take Dinner To A New Level
- 25 Keto Snacks To Melt Fat Away And Keep You Full Between Meals
- 11 Guilt-Free Keto Dessert Recipes That’ll Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
- Keto Chicken Recipes That Will Blow Your Taste Buds Away
- 20 Easy Keto Breakfast Recipes That’ll Help You Lose
- Turkey Smash Burgers
- Vegan Kale Quinoa Salad
FROM THE KETO DIET FOOD LISTS, FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU LIKE AND DON’T LIKE SO YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE ACCORDINGLY
Let’s face it, we don’t like every food that gets put on our plate and often times, that can deter us from sticking to our healthy lifestyle plans. Since the keto diet cuts out bread, pasta and rice (everyone’s favorites), it can sometimes feel like there will be nothing keto approved that we will actually like to eat! I’m here to bring you the good news that that is just a myth. There are TONS of foods that are allowed on the keto diet, you just have to take the time to figure out what you like! Try some keto approved foods or recipes you’ve never tried before…maybe you’ll surprise yourself and end up loving them!
As a helpful resource, here’s a pretty comprehensive Ketogenic Diet Food List that you can go through yourself and start choosing what sounds good!
FIND SOME FAVORITE KETO SWEETS FOR WHEN YOU CAN’T BREAK A CRAVING
Let’s face it, sometimes we are just craving something sweet! The good news is, you don’t have to knock yourself out of ketosis to get it. There are plenty of keto friendly sweets that you can enjoy without the guilt.
- Keto-Friendly, Stevia Sweetened Fruity Gummy Bears, Sour Gummy Bears, Sweet Fish, Sour Buddies, Assortment Pack
CLEAN OUT THE PANTRY AND THE FRIDGE (IF YOU DON’T WANT TO WASTE FOOD DONATE IT OR GIVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE)
The worst thing you can do to yourself is have all of those tempting high carb foods sitting in your fridge or pantry. If you don’t have them within reach, you’re a lot less likely to snack or do the “just this once” game. However, you don’t have to waste food if it’s still edible. You can either donate any unopened food to a food bank or give leftovers to friends or family who will enjoy them.
DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE KETO DIET
This is one of the most important pieces of advice when starting anything new that has to do with your health. There are so many amazing resources, studies, recipes and tools available online to help you start the keto diet. Take advantage of all that knowledge at your fingertips and arm yourself with the information you need to be successful!
Loving this How to Start the Keto Diet feature? Take a look here for more of my health & fitness favorites!
(For any past giveaway results see my giveaway page where all winner’s are listed )